I have been looking for a quick, easy and tasty bolognese sauce that is not to complex for my kids to eat & easy enough to whip up on a weeknight. I found this on reluctantgourmet.com.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground veal or lamb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic….depending on your love for garlic and how much your family can stand
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes with/ juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese for grating on top
- In a large sauce pot, brown the chopped beef and (veal or lamb), drain fat and reserve meat for later.
- In the same pot, sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil & butter until the onions are translucent.
- Deglaze the pan with wine and reduce by half.
- Puree the whole tomatoes and add them to the pot along with the sliced carrots and reserved meat.
- Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. (If the sauce become too dry add a little water or chicken stock)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- In a big pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta al dente.
- Serve sauce over pasta with grated cheese.