I was looking for a light salad to serve for dinner this summer and came across this from the Mark Bittman’s Minimalist cooking column in the NY Times, watermelon & tomato together! The combination of sweet and savory, tender and crunchy and is pretty refreshing on a hot summer day.
- 2 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, in 1-inch cubes or balls
- 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup finely diced or crumbled Stilton, Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Maytag blue cheese
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Combine the watermelon, tomato, cheese, scallions and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk or blend together about 2 tablespoons of the watermelon juice, oil, vinegar and cayenne. To serve, dress the salad with this mixture and garnish with parsley. Do not refrigerate and serve within 30 minutes.